Monday, October 5, 2009

Shrimp and Corn

I'm bringing J up as a proper food snob. Every night, I ask hubby which protein he'd like to have for the next dinner. Last night, while I was still listing pork, chicken, beef, J looked up and said "I want ribs". I was caught off guard, but pleasantly surprised. As you know I don't like making decision, likewise, hubby likes to shy away from these minute decisions too. So now, there is a new decision maker in the house! I switched my focus to J. "Yes, there are ribs, and we also have shrimp..." I didn't get to finish my sentense before J jumped to the new favorite. "Shrimp!" So, shrimp it is! In an earnest attempt to not make the same dish as a few days ago, I came up with this shrimp and corn dish that was very vaguely based on a few "crystal" shrimp recipes.


Shrimp and Corn

1 lb shrimp, peeled, deveined, patted dry
2 kernels of ears of corn (or 2 cups of frozen corn, or 1 can 15.25 oz of corn kernel, drained)
1 green onion, shredded
3 slices of ginger (or shredded, my family doesn't like to eat ginger, this way they can be easily picked out)
2 tbsp oil

Marinate:
1/2 tsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp chicken bouillon
pinch of ground white pepper
1 tbsp water

Coating:
1 tsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp water

Instead of buying already peeled and deveined shrimp, you could also get the easy peel ones. It took about 10 minutes for me to peel the whole pound. However, shrimp has 2 veins, one along the back and one along the inside. The deveined shrimp I've ever seen only has the back vein removed. So it would me another 15 minutes or so to devein them.

I made this in one non-stick pan without even a wipe in between the ingredients. This way, I didn't need to add more oil, and cleanup was super easy.

Mix the marinate well. Toss the shrimp in the marinate for at least 30 minutes.

Mix the coating agents well, set aside.

Heat the oil, add the green onion and gingner, stir a few times to release the aroma. Add the shrimp, when they are no longer transparent, remove from the pan. Add corn to the pan, stir a few times. Add the shrimp back in. Add the coating mixture, stir a minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment