Monday, March 22, 2010

Steelhead Diner

Every March and October are Dine Around Seattle months. There are often many places I'd like to try, but I haven't been really taking advantage of the opportunities since it's not very convenient to take kids to these places, and I'm often very self-conscious about eating out alone. Maybe it was the sun, I decided to lunch at the Steelhead Diner last minute.

Steelhead is located near Pike Place Market. Soon after I sat down, the waiter brought two types of bread, a yummy cheddar rosemary focaccia that was fragrant with a faintly spicy aftertaste, and a hearty and toasty mini loaf loaded with oats, black sesame seeds and black sunflower seeds that you could literally taste the essence of health. The bread was served with butter and basil-infused olive oil.

For appetizer, I got the hot smoked wild salmon rillette. The rillette itself was just OK, but it went well with the salty caper, creamy avocado, and pickled red onions. The herb emulsion tasted nice on the cheddar rosemary focaccia crouton chips, but didn't do much for the rillette.

The preserved lemon crusted stream raised Idaho catfish came with a Tellicherry peppercorn butter sauce served on top of creamy hominy polenta. The fish was very tender and fluffy. The crust was very lemony, but a little too thick for my liking - it was more than 1/4 inch, and had some little bitter burned spots. The creamy polenta and the lovely sauce (dispite the fact that I couldn't taste the peppercorn) completed the dish.

I couldn't quite decide on the dessert. Fearing the pecan pie being overly sweet, I picked the chocolate mousse based on the waiter's suggestion. It wasn't bad, but the flavor seemed very monotonous, lacked depth. I kind of regret not getting the Theo’s chocolate pecan pie, or the banana foster crème brulee.

However, it was still a very satisfying lunch. I shouldn't complain when all of these fared at only $15 plus tax and tip. Not to mention my little find at Nordstrom Rack completed a very gratifying afternoon.

Steelhead Diner
95 Pine St, Ste 17, Seattle, WA 98101
(206)625-0129

No comments:

Post a Comment