Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Girls Weekend

People always say that when they were little they wanted to grow up quickly, I never felt that way. At every stage of my life, I always wished I were younger and missed the times in the past. As content as I am with my life, I often remember the fun time in college. I made a lot of friends back then, including my best friends F and L. Couple of years ago, we decided that we’d have a girls’ weekend every year, since we live at different places and can no longer hang out very often. So far, we’ve only gone to places where one of us resides, like Seattle or Boston. This year, it’s LA.

While we enjoyed each other’s company and conversation, we feasted on all kinds of edible commodities. (You know it wouldn’t be one of my trips without lots of food.) We brunched at Urth Caffe in West Hollywood (make sure you get their bread pudding if you ever stop by, yummmmm. =) and Huckleberry (their bread pudding is good too, the salted caramel square was sinfully rich - almost too much, but the acclaimed maple bacon biscuit was too dry and dense for me, and the duck hash didn’t wow me either), reveled in macarons from Paulette (Don't you wish you were us? ;) and cocktailed at Cache Restaurant and J Restaurant and Lounge with F’s friends.

We also headed out to Oxnard for California Strawberry Festival. Unfortunately, the weather wasn’t as nice as it could be. But we still devoured lots of fair food, like chicken skewer (it was HUGE!), garlic fries, strawberry shortcake, etc. Don’t you always feel like a little kid when you go to fairs? F and L both came back loaded with candles. Of course, there was some Korean BBQ and Chinese food since L couldn’t have any in SC. I was surprised to find Beijing/Northern style tofu flower on the menu of Yung Ho Restaurant in San Gabriel. This is one dish I had for breakfast growing up, and I had never found it in a restaurant in the States before. It was pretty decent. What a find!

LA is a place studded with great restaurants, some even Michelin-starred . So without a doubt, I made a reservation at one of these establishments. But you will have read my next post to see where we went. =)

Doesn’t our trip sound like it’s all about food? Like that’s all I care about. Well, heehee, that is true. But it’s not the ONLY thing I care about. We had a great time painting the town - shopping and watching movies, and just hang out. Well, so long, LA. I can’t wait for thel next girls’ weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment