Friday, December 31, 2010

Smoked Salmon Mousse

You didn't think I'd leave you like that, did you? You bet I'd talk about the food I cooked. =)

I love the idea of bite-size hors d'œuvres, especially when no utensils are required. I've always dreamed that one day I'd serve some in my house. There is a first time for everything, right? This occasion seemed to be the perfect vehicle. True, the idea of salmon mousse in cucumber cups is nothing original, but it's a good opportunity to try my hands on something more sophisticated than my day-to-day plain Jane.

Smoked Salmon Mousse in Cucumber Cups
based on this recipe

4 ounces smoked salmon
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/2 lemon, juiced, about 1 - 1 1/2 tbsp
1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
¼ tsp salt
pepper
2 English cucumbers

Place smoked salmon in a blender or food processor, and blend until smooth. Mix in heavy cream, cream cheese, 1 tbsp lemon juice, dried dill weed, salt and a dash of pepper. Taste, season with additional salt, pepper and lemon juice if necessary. Blend to desired consistency.

Use a zester or vegetable peeler to score the length of the cucumber to create the alternating striped effect. (My zester and vegetable peeler couldn't do this, so I used a knife and made two cuts lengthwise ⅛ inch apart at an angle towards each other. Remove the peel. Repeat the cuts every ⅜ inch.) Cut the cucumbers into ½ - ¾ inch sections.

Use a melon baller to scoop out the center of the cucumber disks. With a star tip, pipe in the mousse. (I used tip #18, which I found to be too small. Next time, I’d try #22.)

No comments:

Post a Comment