Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Healthy Yam "Casserole"

In my house, yams or sweet potatoes aren't just for Thanksgiving, but a stable all year long. I simply steam boil them (boil with less than an inch of water). And my kids love it. Couple of days ago, when I was paying for the grocery, the cashier asked me how I made them. I listened to myself as I answered his question, and thought "Man, that was boring!". So in the spirit of holidays, I decided to jazz up my yams American way. The result was great, not only the kids loved it, even hubby, who doesn't like yam, had seconds. It tasted very much like a normal yam casserole that everybody has at Thanksgiving, but much healthier.

Yam with Brown Sugar and Marshmallows

4 large yams (4.5 lbs)
3/4 cup of brown sugar
2.5 oz of marshmallows

Wash the yams, put in a large pot. Add less than one inch of water. Bring to boil. Turn the heat to low, and simmer for 30 to 60 minutes depending on the size of the yams. (There should be no resistance when poking the yams all the way to the center with a fork or chopstick.)

Peel and mash up the yams. Mix in the sugar. Sprinkle the marshmallows on top. Broil till the marshmallows are toasty. (For my oven, this takes about 3 minutes if it was cold, and 1 if it was already hot. The marshmallows can burn pretty quickly, so keep a close eye on it. You can leave the oven door ajar if necessary.)

This recipe can be easily halved. The sugar and marshmallow quantity is extremely flexible. I have done this with about 2 pounds of sweet potatoes, 1/4 cup of sugar and 2.5 oz of marshmallows. The result was equally good.

No comments:

Post a Comment