Monday, July 12, 2010

Grill, baby, grill!

I have a grill! Yay!!!

We are not really BBQ people. So for years, it was perfectly OK for us to not have a grill. But as I started cooking more, I often wished that I could deep fry things. (I don’t like frying in the house due to the smell and the mess caused by the splattering.) It might sound funny, but my only real requirement of the grill is the side burner. Awhile ago, I researched and researched for months, and chose the Weber Genesis for the quality. =) Hubby wasn’t convinced that we needed at the time. Yet I knew in my heart this was the grill for me. So I went ahead and bought a mat, a cover, and grill cleaning tools. Hubby thought it was funny that we had everything EXCEPT the grill. Nevertheless, he just dismissed it, and didn’t give any more thoughts. So the accessories sat in the dark in our closet collecting dust, until a month ago, when I brought up the subject of the grill again. To my surprise, hubby gave me the green light.

Last week, the grill finally came. Just like all the other reviewers said, it took about 3 hours to assemble. It was totally worth it! Such a beautiful item.

To put it through the first test, we decided to make some burgers yesterday. I haven’t been using much of the herbs I bought at Costco. This seemed to be the perfect opportunity to use up some. So I clipped some parsley, basil, dill, thyme and chive, chopped them up, and made the patties. I’m not trying to be stereotypical, but home cooking always seems more like a woman’s job to me (My dad cooks once in a while, but for everyday? That’s my mom’s responsibility.), whereas grilling seems very macho. That is until I called hubby out to grill the burger, and he told me it was my job. Fortunately, burgers are so quick to cook on my new fabulous grill that I didn’t really mind. And fortunately for my family, my random concoction turned out pretty well, and the grill was so easy to use that my lack of grilling skills didn’t seem to matter.


Burger

1 lb 80/20 ground beef
1/3 onion, finely diced
1/3 cup fresh herbs, chopped
1/2 cup bread crumb
4 tbsp water (or milk)
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp marjoram

Saute the onion on low heat till transparent, set aside.

Put the bread crumb in a large bowl, add water to soak for 5 minutes.

Add to the bowl beef, onion, fresh herbs, and seasoning, mix with your hands. Form into 1 1/2 inch balls, flatten to patties.

Grill at 350F for 15 minutes, flip half way through.

No comments:

Post a Comment