Saturday, August 7, 2010

Jang Su Jang

Our long summer vacation is coming to an end. One week in Winnipeg with hubby’s parents, and one week with mine in California, as fun as it was, we were ready for things to go back to normal. Last night, we had one more dinner with a friend, before packing up for our road trip home.

One thing I missed about Bay Area is good Asian food. I know many people think LA has the best Korean food, but I think Santa Clara can hold its ground pretty well.

Instead of going to a familiar place, I chose Jang Su Jang based on the yelp reviews. The banchan included a nice apple salad, my favorite JapChae, and quite a few others. The waitresses came by frequently, so the banchan was always refilled promptly. The service was definitely above average compare to many Korean places that tend to put the non-Koreans in a separate room.

For the 3 of us, I ordered Bossam Jungsik (steamed pork belly slices), Yookgejang (spicy beef soup), Bulgogi (grilled rib eye), and Mul Naengmyun (cold noodle in broth). (I knew it was too much food, but I couldn’t make up my mind. =). All these dishes have been highly recommended on yelp. The bossam was good (I probably ate 90% of that dish). I know that Korean pork belly normally has cartilage, but I prefer the Chinese/Japanese type without the cartilage. The bulgogi was tender and flavorful. The yookgejang wasn’t very spicy. It was good, but not all that special. Just like all the other dishes, the naengmyun was good, but could be better. The noodle was Angel hair-thin, not the normal thick and chewy ones. It didn’t have the sweet and juicy Asian pear slices that I really enjoy either. It also didn’t help the matter that they took away the mustard and vinegar bottles before I was done. I would have preferred the naengmyun at Sui Tofu.

Regardless we were still so stuffed at the end, that we didn’t even have the little yogurt drinks. Overall, it was adequate. While the service was better than most places, the food wasn’t necessarily the best. I would probably come again, but it hasn’t won me as a loyal patron yet.

Jang Su Jang
3561 El Camino Real #10, Santa Clara, CA 95051
(408) 246-1212

No comments:

Post a Comment