Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Dueling of the Boston Cream Pies

Since I’ve been reading these vegan books, I’ve been hoping that I could make some awesome vegan cakes. (I once made blueberry muffins from Babycakes. It wasn’t bad, just didn’t live up to the hype of Babycakes.) This time I figured I’d make both the regular and vegan Boston cream pies. Let them battle it out! Who knows, maybe I could hit the jackpot and make a vegan one taste just as good.


Unfortunately, that’s just my wishful thinking. I chose the recipes from Joy of Cooking and Sinfully Vegan. I made the Joy of Cooking Boston Cream Pie with a chocolate glaze instead of icing. Regrettably, I overcooked the sugar, so the glaze was really gritty. The cake was fluffy and just the right amount of sugar. The crème patissière was this creamy custard infused with vanilla. It might not be an exceptional cake, but definitely pleasant (except for the dry glaze =P). The Sinfully Vegan version was anything but sinful. Somehow, the inside of the cake was still doughy while the outside was already getting hard. The tofu cream filling was rather bland, not worth any calories. Hubby even begged me not to try to perfect this recipe again.

The search for a truly “sinful” cake goes on.

The egg whites leftover from the Joy of Cooking version ended up as baked meringues. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment