Sunday, September 20, 2009

Canlis Wedding

As you know, F came for a friend's wedding. I, being a big softie for weddings, went as her guest. The wedding couple loved food, so it was held at the acclaimed Canlis restaurant, ceremony included! I didn't even know you could have a wedding at Canlis!

All weddings are special, but this one was extra special. The wedding couple fell in love with Seattle when they visited last year and got engaged at another distinguished restaurant Chez Shea. So instead of Hawaii, or some other exotic location, they chose us! Every guest flew in for this memorable occasion. The officiant put it well - "In this economic turmoil, Seattle economy thanks you. The airlines, the hotels, the restaurants, we all thank you." I must have been the token Seattleite there.

Even after being married for a number of years, I still get teary-eyed at weddings. Like all marriages, mine has its ups and downs too. But at weddings, watching others declare their eternal love always teaches me something new about love, reminds me of how beautiful love was, what I felt on my big day, and what I should keep at heart and treasure everyday. Though I was a total stranger to M and G, I felt touched that they let me be a part of their special day.

After a lovely ceremony, the guests mingled while champagne was poured and hors d'œuvres were passed. The champagne was Canlis' private label NV Jean Milan "Canlis Cuvee" Grand Cru made in Oger, France. I don't know much about wine, but I do know that only the sparkling wines from the Champagne region of France can be called "Champagne", and Oger is in the Champagne region of France. I always love starched-uniformed waiters carrying silver trays with offerings of champagne or bite size treasures. So old world glamour. One of these treasures, namely the pork belly on quail egg puree with capers, came on spoons. I know that it would no longer shock anyone when hors d'œvures were served on spoons. But every time I see it, I just love it. You eat it in one bite, put the spoon back on the tray, then continue your conversation or whatever you were doing, no greasy fingers, no dirty napkins or tooth picks in your hands. Whoever came up with this idea must be a genius! The quail egg puree might not be as brilliant as the spoon, but it was pretty fabulous too. It was smooth and creamy, and the capers cut through the greasiness of the pork belly. There were also spinach quiches with Pecorino and garlic. They were topped with toasted pine nuts for a twist. The Canlis prawns were cooked with dry vermouth, garlic, red chilies and lime. Whoever said a prawn was a prawn never tasted these. They were exquisite. There was also lobster tartare. They were OK, but nothing exceptional.

After everyone had a fair amount of Champagne, we sat down for dinner. First came the cherry gazpacho with dungeness crab, paprika and oregano. I loved the chunky crab meat. The gazpacho was lovely, but just a tad too spicy for me, though that didn't stop me from finishing every drop of it. =) Then came Canlis salad of romaine, bacon, Romano cheese, fresh mint, oregano and a dressing of lemon, olive oil and coddled egg. It was very refreshing, almost like a palate cleanser (a BIG one) to get us ready for the main course. There were three options to choose from for the entrée. A seafood choice - Pacific king salmon with parsley and preserved lemon, potato puree and whole roasted potatoes. A chicken dish with celery puree, natural jus and roasted potatoes. And last, my selection and seemingly the most popular choice of the night, the filet mignon, a whole cut all-natural prime Midwest beef with natural jus, bordelaise and potato puree. It was one of the biggest piece of filet mignon I have ever had, cooked to a perfect medium, practically melted in my mouth.

Just as everyone started saying how they couldn't eat one more bite (myself included), we were served artisanal cheeses from Estrella family creamery. I don't know much about cheeses, and I couldn't remember much other than there were 2 goat cheeses, and 2 or 3 others, with nuts and fruit confiture. I liked them all, it's unfortunate that I can't tell you more about them. Then along came the killer, a dessert amuse, banana and caramel filled doughnuts with molten milk chocolate and peanut butter ice cream. Who doesn't love doughnuts?! The batter was so rich, moist and light at the same time, no one could help but indulging in one. The wedding cake had two flavors, a vanilla chiffon filled with lemon mousse, lemon curd and raspberry jam, and a chocolate cake brushed with frangelico, filled chocolate mousse and hazelnut mousse. I had the vanilla chiffon. It was probably very good, but I was too sated to appreciate anything at this point.

Oh yes, the wines! I had the 2006 Chateau Ste Michelle "ethos" chardonnay from Columbia Valley. The choice of red was the 2005 l'ecole no.41 Perigee from Seven Hills Vineyard in Walla Walla. And the dessert wine was the 2003 Royal Tokaji Aszu 5 Puttonyos. This was my first time drinking a Tokaji. In the past, I always associated dessert wine with Ice wine. But this Tokaji was lovely. The honeyed apricot and orange peel flavors were delightful. I will have to go find myself some Tokaji now. =)

G told me that he worked with the chef on the menu. I can say with full conviction that his effort was heart felt by everyone, if not their minds, at least their stomachs. =) I'm already looking forward to the next time M and G come to town, so we can be on our quest for another marvelous dining experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment