Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Slow Cooked Chicken Costco Style

Over the years, I have collected a lot of recipes that I didn’t even look at, (That's bad, isn't it? =) which included the Costco Connection magazines. The latest issue did a section on slow cookers. This got my attention since I haven't busted out mine for over a year now. I love the idea of slow cooking, but in order to get all the ingredients ready and into the cooker I will need to plan one more day ahead which I rarely do. =) With a magazine flipped open to the page, there is no way I'd forget. *fingers crossed* Out of the handful of recipes, the Autumn Herbed Chicken with Fennel and Squash looked most interesting.

With the plan set, I went about making sure I had every ingredient, which is a VERY short list. However, I have been getting very forgetful the last couple of years. (It must be old age, or child baring. =) Not to my surprise, I forgot to get fennel. So I used an onion instead. (I also substituted drumsticks for thighs.)

After immersed in the stock simmering for over 6 hours, the chicken was falling off the bones tender. The kids loved it except for the fresh rosemary on top. I found the flavor a little lacking. What did I expect?! It hardly called for any seasoning. I don't think I'd be making this again. I’m sure there is a far more delectable slow-cooked drumstick recipe waiting for me somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment