Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Wintermelon Meatball Soup

I can't say that I was a good eater growing up. One of the vegetables that I didn't care for is wintermelon. Despite all of its medical benefits, like being a water retention remedy, an anti-inflammatory agent, a detoxificant, and a diuretic, it would even help you rid of body fat, I had no desire for the mushy texture and bland taste. Being a summer vegetable that would keep till the winter when stored properly, it was certainly a popular ingredient. Oh, how I dreaded those days! As I'm getting older, I started to appreciate different tastes. This might shock my mom, but today I made a wintermelon meatball soup for my kids. And I have to say that my kids are much better than I was - they both liked it! =)

Wintermelon Meatball Soup

1/4 wintermelon (Donqua/DongGua) about 3 1/2 pounds
2 bunches (2.6 oz / 75 g) bean thread noodles
3 qts water
2 tbsp chicken bouillon
salt

Meatballs:
8 oz ground pork
1 green onion, finely chopped
1 tsp minced ginger
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp white pepper
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tbsp corn starch
1 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tbsp cooking wine

Soak the bean thread noodles in water for an hour.

Skin the wintermelon using a knife. Remove the seeds and the pulp. Cut into 1/2 to 3/4 inch cubes. Set aside.

Mix all the meatball ingredients. Form 1 inch balls, about 20.

Boil water. Add wintermelon and chicken bouillon, bring back to boil. Turn down the heat, and continue to boil till the wintermelon is tender. Add the meatballs, stir and boil for a few more minutes till meatballs are no longer pink. Add the drained bean thread noodles, boil for one more minute. Remove and serve.

You don't want to add the bean thread noodles too early, or they'd practically melt into the soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment