Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Mobatta

Summer is over, but J's school doesn't start until the 8th. Since we didn't go into Seattle very much this summer, the two of us went on the bus for a little lunch "date" in the city.

I bought a few Groupon deals awhile ago, one being the La Crêperie Voilà, and another being Mobatta. I didn't want to spend too much time figuring out where to go (not a very good "date", was I?), so it was time to use a Groupon. Mobatta is located in the Pioneer Square area. It shares the door with a Mediterranean fast food place. The space is clean, simple and very open. They have 4 tables and a long bar area, definitely enough for a quick bite. The price is on par with other creperies. I used my $12 groupon, and was both pleasantly surprised, AND had a little sticker shock. Most places use the Groupon value towards the after tax sum, but Mobatta deducts from the pre-tax. So our Salmon & Egg Tartine ($5.99) and Strawberry CheeseCrepe ($5.99) were free! Yippy! Now, comes the sticker shock. When I ask for a cup of tap water, I expect it to be free. Not the case here, my two EcoSafe cups cost me 54¢ (including 4¢ tax). Be fore-warned, if you are coming here.

The salmon and egg crêpe was much more substantial and cheaper than the salmon one at La Crêperie Voilà. I was happy with the amount of egg and smoked salmon. But there wasn't too much Mozzarella, and the Hollandaise sauce was on the bland side. Thanks to the smoked salmon, the taste was balanced. The crêpe itself was slightly overcooked. It was still acceptable, I suppose. The strawberry crêpe was a bit monotone, just sweet. I didn't pay enough attention when I got it, but by the time we finished the salmon and egg tartine, the cheese cake filling was all runny. The Graham cracker and brown sugar only made it taste gritty. They also didn’t use fresh strawberries. This is one that could be skipped.

I don't think I'd vist again, but if I had to choose between Mobatta and La Crêperie Voilà, or if there was a really good deal, I’d still go.

Mobatta Crêpes To-Go
719 2nd Ave (between Cherry St & Columbia St), Seattle, WA 98104
(206) 801-0251

No comments:

Post a Comment