Monday, September 6, 2010

Potato Salads

The weather hasn't been cooperating, but it IS Labor Day weekend after all, and that means BBQ, right? At least, that's what I think it means to everyone else (EVEN when we are not really BBQ people). I really didn't feel like flipping burgers with all those clouds over my head, but hot dogs - I can deal with. So it's decided that I'd grill up some dogs. Now comes the hard part. What would I serve the dogs with?

Even though D's allergies are very inconvenient when we eat out, at home, it's not much of a problem at all. I don't normally cook with butter/cream/cheese anyways. However, there are a few simple staples that I haven't mastered an alternative yet. One being a potato salad. Last time, when we tried out our brand new grill, I made a potato salad with tofu mayonnaise which wasn't bad, but it wasn't much of a hit either. Without mayonnaise, I had to find a different breed of potato salad to accompany the dogs.

This salad is acceptable served cold, but it is better warm. It might not drench your cravings if you want a traditional salad, but it's certainly adequate otherwise.

Vegan Potato Salad

1.5 lb Yukon Gold potatoes, diced 1/2 inch cubes
1 shallot, thinly sliced
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
salt
pepper
1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes, drained, cut into small bits
1/4 cup parsley, chopped

Season the potatoes and shallot with salt, toss in 1 tbsp olive oil. Heat in a non-stick pan over medium heat till the potatoes are just tender.

In a large bowl, beat together the 2 tbsp olive oil and white wine vinegar, season with salt and pepper. Toss together with the potatoes, shallots, tomatoes and parsley.

No comments:

Post a Comment