Sunday, September 12, 2010

New Gadget

I'm a kitchen gadget addict. I could literally drool in front of a pretty in pink food mixer, or goo goo ga ga over a shining SodaStream penguin. My latest object of obsession is the Vitamix blender. However, the price tag is really preventing me from getting close and personal with my love. The gadget addict haven't won over the thrifty deal seeker yet. But when I find an appliance in a killer deal, the universe comes together, both parts of me are happy! That’s how I became the new proud owner of a Cuisnart Brick Oven.

I used to fret over the preheating and cooling time of my oven. Who would want to bake cookies for 15 minutes when you had to preheat for 25 minutes, and listen to the oven fan for another 15 minutes to cool down afterwards?! Not me, that's for sure! So I normally stagger my baking, and let the oven run for hours. That of course lands me in the kitchen all day. (Call me crazy.) As much as I love cooking, that's exhausting. Now, this brick oven would solve my dilemma. Preheating only takes minutes, and no oven fan. Yippy!

The Ricotta Cheesecake from Le Cordon Bleu Dessert Techniques was the lucky winner to be the first product coming out of the Cuisnart. This was really a cake, instead of a cheesecake. The flour and ground almond made the filling quite dense, but it was nonetheless a good cake. It was neither too sweet nor too heavy like many cheesecakes. For the cup of dried fruit, I used a mix of dried blueberries, crasins, mango and pineapple bits. (I was out of candied peels.) Every bite was a little surprise. Hubby was so happy with the cake, he even had seconds.

I'm already planning on all the things I could bake. I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment