Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Happy hour, New love, and Pizza

I did it! I've finally done it! For the first time in my life, I had a solo lunch at a bar. Well, it's not really a bar, I suppose, just the lounge area of Palomino, but still. (You can see how boring my life must be, if a trivial matter like this would cause such excitement.) And I found my new love! My new squeeze, or should I say new sip, comes in a martini glass, namely candid apple drop. Unlike a stereotypical Asian girl who can't drink, I have very good alcohol tolerance. (Must be my northern Chinese heritage. It runs in the family. My cousin told me she could drink 12 beers in one sitting! I can't even drink 12 glasses of water!) I have been known to shock guys with my drinking ability, and can drink quite a few of them under the table. However, I don't like the taste of alcohol. I prefer foo foo drinks, something sweet and fruity with a pink umbrella. =) For years, my favorite drink had been midori pineapple. Now, midori's got competition. The apple drop is tangy and syrupy sweet at the same time. Perfect for a summer afternoon.

I've been meaning to try all the fabulous happy hours in Bellevue. Today, I finally got around to it, even though I felt kinda silly sitting in the lounge all by myself. (Note to self, no one really cares. Just be normal.) I have heard that Palomino has the best happy hour. And best is where I would start. I couldn't decide between the baked clam or a pizza, then I saw the words that sang to my heart: "Vongole, Manila clams, four cheeses, crushed red chili peppers, extra virgin olive oil." It's like the chef knew what I wanted, baked clams on a pizza! The bartender Jason took my order. He was very nice, and let the kitchen knew I was in a rush. Minutes later, I had my elegant martini glass. Doesn't a martini glass remind you of a ballerina? It does to me. So poised, with its head held up high. Anyways, today we met, apple drop. There will be many more encounters, especially when you are only $4. The pizza came shortly. It had a thin crust, and fresh parsley on top. The baked clams all opened up nicely. Every bite was packed with heat from the red peppers. Now, I would have totally loved this pizza if it wasn't too salty. As much as I prefer my food on the salty side, this was a bit much. I could barely taste the clams due to the salt. I sincerely hope that one of the cheeses was the culprit. Regardless, I'm already planning my next visit. The other happy hours can wait. I need to sample a few more items, and get myself more acquainted with the lovely apple drop.

Palomino Bellevue
610 Bellevue Way NE, Bellevue, WA 98004
(425)455-7600

No comments:

Post a Comment