Friday, November 5, 2010

Simple Clams

A few months ago, I made this. Even though it was good, it was way too much work. Another thing I learned was that Uwajimaya has really fresh mussels and clams. So when I saw Uwajimaya had Manila clams on sale this week for $3.99, I knew I had to get some. I also knew this time I wanted to choose a simpler recipe with white wine.

I did a little search, and chose a recipe from http://www.food.com/. The clams were super tender and meaty. The garlic lost all of its pungency. The prosciutto salty and crispy. Enjoyed with a glass of pinot grigio that the clams were cooked in. Yum. =) Hubby insisted that he didn't like clams. Even better, more for me! =)

The only thing I have to complain is that the sauce was too salty even though I didn't add any salt. (And I'm not one who's on a low-sodium diet, just see what I've cooked in the past and you'd know.) So instead of soaking it all up with bread, I used it to saute the mushrooms for my pasta sauce. Yum, yum, yum!

Clams in Garlic White Wine Sauce
based on this

2 slices prosciutto ham, thin slices
1 tablespoon oil
6 garlic cloves, smashed
1/3 cup Italian parsley, chopped
1/2 cup dry white wine (I used pinot grigio)
2 lbs Manila clams (or small clams of your choice, about 30-32, cleaned and scrubbed)

Cut prosciutto into strips. In a large frying pan, heat oil over medium heat. Fry prosciutto until crisp, about 2 minutes. Remove to paper towel to drain.

To the pan, add garlic and half of the parsley. Fry for 1 minute. Add wine. Bring to boil over medium high heat. Add clams, cover and steam until clams open, about 5 minutes. Discard any clams that do not open.

Sprinkle with prosciutto and remaining parsley.

Ladle clams into small bowls and offer plenty of crusty bread to soak up the delicious broth.

No comments:

Post a Comment