Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Taiwan, Part XIV - Taiwanese Snacks

It wouldn't be a trip to Taiwan without sampling some simple snack food. Since the weather wasn't very nice, we ended up getting take out a lot.

Goose is more commonly consumed in Taipei than an once-a-year holiday bird. A very popular goose meat place is in Tienmu. People call it "Tienmu goose meat stand" since it's only a stand without an official name. Look for the sign with red "goose meat" characters. We had the regular and smoked. It was very tender. The texture is similar to dark chicken meat. Even though goose meat contains even more fat than duck meat, the fat was mostly rendered out that it wasn't greasy. I prefer the smoke flavor with their special sauce.

I love Taiwanese Spiced Pork Stew over rice. While there were lots of food that I set out to try, Spiced Pork Stew is one thing I knew I'd have. In fact, I'm surprised at myself that I didn't eat it everyday. =) After our relaxing massage, we got some from a place that's known for their spiced pork stew over rice. It was almost all fat, the sauce was a bit too sweet, and on the thin side; however, it was delicious nonetheless. I'm used to having light Western style breakfast. One day, my friend reheated some pork stew after my breakfast, the smell was so enticing that I couldn't resist but getting a bowl as well. It was THAT good!

We missed lunch time one day and ended up getting pepper pancakes (NT$40 each) from this stand that was featured in a Japanese travel site. Even at 2:30 in the afternoon, they were sold out. I had to wander around for half an hour to wait for the next batch. =) Do you like black or white peppers? If so, you'd LOVE these. They were cooked in a clay-lined barrel-like vessel over fire wood. Eaten piping hot, the pork and green onion filling was so juicy and peppery. The dough, rolled in sesame seeds on one side, was nice and flaky. One of these in the winter would definitely warm you up inside.

Another pancake I had was on the day I went to the National Chiang Kai-shek Memorial. After the tsukemen, gyoza, and shaved ice, I really couldn't take another bite. However, the Tianjin Green Onion Pancake stand was highly recommended, and it was only steps away from Yong Kang 15 under the sign for the Thanh-Ky Vietnamese Noodle Restaurant, I couldn't help but getting one too. I got an original one (NT$25) which is very thin and flaky. Unfortunately, it was no longer flaky hours later when I was able to eat again. If you want something more filling, you can also get it with egg (NT$30), or with ham and egg (NT$40), or with everything (NT$50). What a deal! Next time, I will definitely save some room for these pancakes. =)

Tienmu Goose Meat Stand (天母鵝肉攤 - 店招牌是寫紅色的鵝肉兩個大字)
Address: 23 Lane 8, Tienmu East Road
地址:台北市天母東路8巷23號 (廣田洋菓子旁巷子)
Hours: 3pm - sold out (most likely before 7pm), closed on Mondays
營業時間:下午3點出攤 7點前就可能賣完 週一公休

Jin Xian Spiced Pork Stew over Rice (金仙魯肉飯)
Address: 127 Fu Gang street, Shi-lin District
地址: 台北市士林區福港街127號
Telephone: 02-2881-8625
電話:02-2881-8625

Pepper Pancakes (胡椒餅)
Address: Lane 269, Nanjing East Road
地址:台北市南京東路三段269巷口

Tianjin Green Onion Pancake (永康街天津蔥抓餅)
Address: 1 Lane 6, Yong Kang Road
地址:台北市永康街6巷1號
Telephone: 0918-401-855
電話:0918-401-855
Hours: 11am - 10:30pm
營業時間:11:00~22:30 無公休
Phone Order: (02)2321-1336 before noon, (02)2321-3768 after noon
電購專線:上午12時前(02)2321-1336 下午12時後(02)2321-3768

No comments:

Post a Comment