Saturday, November 20, 2010

Taiwan, Part XVI - KiKi Restaurant

I know it might sound like I had a lot of mediocre food, but I did have some great food too. KiKi Restaurant was one of the memorable experiences.

KiKi has 6 locations, including a cafe and a Thai restaurant. Even though I cannot vouch for the quality at other locations, I believe KiKi's popularity is largely due to the dishes being consistently delicious, instead of the celebrity ownership.

Having only a pepper pancake for lunch, we showed up for dinner when they opened, ready to devour anything. Like most restaurants in Taiwan, there are many small appetizers at the counter for the customers to choose and take to their table. My friends picked the Sichuan style Shredded Bamboo Shoots (NT$80). It was a very good start! The bamboo shoots were tender and moderately spicy.

KiKi has a long list of house specials. The number one is Crispy Deep Fried Egg Tofu (NT$200), and that's a well deserved title. The skin was paper thin, and deep fried to golden brown. The inside was so soft and tender that you'd think you are eating custards, not tofu! This was definitely my favorite!

The Stir Fried Minced Pork with Chinese Chives and Fermented Black Beans (NT$220) is extremely popular as well. I've never been a fan of Chinese chives, so I can't declare this as a favorite. We asked for mild, even though there were a lot of chili peppers, it wasn't spicy at all, a little bland for me. Next time, I would ask for medium spiciness.

The Thinly Sliced Boiled Pork in a Piquant Garlic Dressing (NT$220) was indeed "piquant". =) The meat was thin and tender, the garlic was very mild, the sauce was what made the dish.

The Pan Fried Omelet with Dry-Salt Meat Sauce (NT$200) didn't stand out against the other plates, but it didn't disappoint either. I remember the sauce being the star.

The Sauteed Diced Chicken Legs with Chili Peppers (NT$330) wasn't like what you get in the States. The chicken pieces were small. They were deep fried to such a crispy level that they were almost crumbly. Again we asked for mild, and as alarming as those chili peppers and garlic slices might look, it wasn't spicy.

The Whole Pan Cooked Fish in a Piquant Molasses and Vinegar Sauce (NT$320) was deep fried, then topped with a sweet and sour sauce. (Their translator must really like the word "piquant". =) The fish was perfectly tender. The sauce was titillating. While I’m not much a rice person, I'd be content with a bowl topped with this sauce.

Can you believe the three of us ate all of THAT? And every dish was so delectable that I'd order it again. Even the freshly brewed Hot Fruit Tea (NT$170), with diced fresh apples, pears, oranges, and pineapples, etc., was so fragrant, it was the best fruit tea I've ever had. This was definitely one of the most gratifying meals of the trip.

KiKi Restaurant (KiKi 餐廳)
Address: 28 Fu Xing South Road, Section 1
地址 :台北市復興南路一段28號
Telephone: 02-2752-2781
電話 : 02-2752-2781
Hours: M-Sat 11:50am - 3pm 5:15pm - 11pm Sun 11:50am - 3pm 5:15pm - 10pm
營業時間 :週一至週六11:50~15:00 / 17:15~23:00 週日11:50~15:00 / 17:15~22:00

No comments:

Post a Comment