Thursday, November 4, 2010

Taiwan, Part V - Laetitia

Prior to my trip, I did my homework. I watched TV shows; I read blogs; I took notes; I compiled lists; I studied maps. I was so prepared that I arrived in Taipei with names, addresses, phone numbers and even recommended dishes of over 100 eateries ranging from fancy restaurants, to buffets, to food stands and night markets. Even a local like A was very much impressed.

After seeing my lists, A made a couple of suggestions. Even A's sister and parents were so sweet and made recommendations.

Now, before I get to the reviews, I have to let you know that even if I say a dish is "just OK" or "mediocre", I don't mean that they are bad compared to what you get back here, I just had my expectations since this is in Taipei, and these places are recommended. (You know me with my expectations. =)

Most dessert places in Taipei (at least the ones I've seen) offer western desserts. From delicate truffles and macarons, to intricate cakes and tarts, to ice cream, anything you crave, you'd be able to find it.

I spent quite some time at Laetitia (the website is in Traditional Chinese only) the Dazhi location. Laetitia has other shops, but Dazhi is the only cafe that offers tea and coffee. Their Wedding Imperial tea is really nice, and I'm not a tea drinker. The best selling products are the puddings and the puffs. Both come in three different flavors, the original, the Valrhona chocolate, and the seasonal specials. I only had the puffs. The seasonal flavor through October was grapefruit flavor (the current flavor is matcha). I initially I wasn't very enthusiastic about it (you guessed right, I'm not a big grapefruit fan), but I was pleasantly surprised. It was very refreshing. If you like Beard Papa's, you'll love Laetitia! I also tried the apple sweet potato bake. I've never had anything like it before. It was so intriguing. If you've never tried it, it's a must! The taste reminds me of roasted sweet potatoes (that every Asian person LOVES in the winter). And the texture is smooth and moist, between a cake and a custard. Think how relaxing it would be to hide in a cafe, enjoying one of these with a cup of tea. =)

Laetitia Dazhi(大直)
Address: 22, Alley 2, Lane 397, Mingshui Rd, Taipei
地址: 台北市明水路397巷2弄22號1樓(捷運大直站)
Telephone: (02)2533-2377
電話: (02)2533-2377
Hours: Weekday 11am - 8pm, Weekend and Holidays 10am - 8pm
營業時間: 平日11:00-20:00 假日10:00-20:00

No comments:

Post a Comment